Thursday, January 15, 2009

Jungle Baby

Speck's nursery is making good progress and I'm really excited to start decorating it now. This week I got a great deal on my nursery set (all 15 pieces for $100), and today my mural kit arrived.

I've decided to do the nursery in a jungle theme, with lots of monkeys. I chose the NoJo Day at The Zoo pattern for the bedding, which features a monkey, elephant, lion and panda bear.



I found someone selling the whole set on ebay. It is actually a used set, so I might not use the sheet , but I'm pretty happy with the find and have no objection to the other pieces being second hand. For a while there I thought I was going to get away with just $45, but there was literally a last minute bidding war.

I'm going to paint the walls with a mural. I wanted to do something fun and creative, but creative really isn't my thing so I set out on a mission to find something that would make me look creative without all the stress, and I'm really excited about what I found.

Elephants on The Wall sells paint by number murals. They send you the pattern, printed on a really big piece of paper, and some carbon paper to go under the pattern. You then trace the pattern onto the wall and paint it using their number guide.

I bought two jungle patterns. One of them is a tall, narrow tree with monkeys climbing it. I'm going to reverse it to go on both sides of the closet. The other one is a full wall pattern with an elephant, some monkeys, and other critters having a hula party. I might even get really ambitious and try to recreate some elements of the big mural in another corner as well, to make the full room be a mural (like maybe the section in the right corner with the tiger in the bushes). I'm also thinking about leaving out the leis on the elephant and giraffe because they are a little bit girly.

First we need to paint the room with a nice light base color. With any luck, I can convince Erik to take this project on this weekend because I'm really excited to get going on the mural. I think I'm going to use a super light, orange-yellow color.

4 comments:

  1. Leave the lei on the elephant, if you take it off you need to add on his ears. I will box up the macarme lion and giraffe and send them on today, probaly UPS. This looks so cute I really wish I was there to help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is just the cutest!! You will have so much fun doing this, but beware of pitfalls.........someday I'll tell you the story of decorating our first nursery and the drama surrounding the wallpaper that kept falling off.........we finally resorted to Elmer's Glue!! Anyway it looks just DARLING and Speck will love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait to see pictures of the nursery when it is done...it is going to be so cute...what a lucky little guy Speck is!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the nursery! Thank you for your comment on my blog! How did you find your doula?

    ReplyDelete