Saturday, January 10, 2009

Baby Networking

One of my goals for this year is to develop a network of friends with babies, baby resources, and nearby baby community.

Of all the things to be nervous about around being a first time parent, I think my biggest fear is the lack of resources that I feel like we have available to help. As Americans, we seem to have this notion that you should do things on your own. Many of us do not live near family and enjoy that autonomy. Other cultures do not share this "value".

I think that raising a child should be a multi generational experience. But unfortunately, we do not have family nearby and though we have tried very hard, I think that the prospects of having family living close to us for the first year of Speck's life are pretty slim. So I've given up my attachment to that idea and set off to develop my network in their place.

Most of this week's internet time has been devoted to searching for groups and other resources for baby knowledge. I've joined a few groups on Meetup, found the local La Leche League group, and even found a Stroller Fit group in my neighborhood. Hopefully over the next couple of weeks I can begin to meet some new friends to share our experience with. I've got us signed up for a Denver Pregnancy Brunch group tomorrow--which Erik is not super thrilled to be attending but I'm taking him anyway.

Probably the most enjoyable part of baby networking so far has been the online community. It seems like every day I stumble across a new baby blog. I've been trying to list them on the right, and I reccomend you check them out. It is so much fun to read about everyone else's experiences, concerns, and journeys.

This is the end of our 26th week. April 13th is only 3 more months away!

1 comment:

  1. I really wish we were closer, it is a drag that I have'nt even seen you PG yet and I am looking forward to the shower. It is rough to do the mommy thingie so far away from your own mommy but it will make your bond with Erik stronger, I know that from experience. I like the idea of a stoller group how fun is that!
    mom

    ReplyDelete