Sunday, November 9, 2008

Getting Ready for Speck - Expenses

Well, we are almost at week 18 and most of the last two weeks have been consumed by two things: work and the election. And while this is not a forum for politics, I must say that I am jubilant about the fact that my child will be born in the first 100 days of our Nation's first African-American President. I have no doubt that Speck will grow up to know an America that is forever changed from the one that Erik and I grew up in.

With the comfort of knowing that income is once again on the way, I've been freed up to think about the expenses of maternity. I need to figure these things out so that I can appropriately plan my medical flex spending account (might as well take as many of those pre-tax benefits as possible!!). Hopefully I will be able to sit down with someone at the doctor's office next week and estimate out all of the various insurance costs on the near horizon.

There are two very important services I have been researching (pre-birth and post-birth): Doulas and Nannys.

A Doula is a woman who specializes in childbirth. She attends delivery, is there the entire time, and provides support in any form needed. This includes everything from fetching snacks to pre-natal massage. I've decided that I don't want to put the pressure on Erik to be my sole support system during delivery. Right now I'm lining up interviews and hope to have a Doula selected by month end (so that I can include her costs in my flex account).

I'm also hoping to find a Nanny to help with child care until the baby is old enough to get a benefit out of attending daycare. Ideally, I'd like to find a native Spanish speaker who will also help with cooking and cleaning. I've talked to friends and know that not only do such things exist, but that children who grow up around a Nanny speaking another language are likely to pick up on the second language. It would be great if we could give Speck a head start on his/her bilingual skills. Unfortunately, I don't think you find a Spanish only Nanny on Craigslist or nanny.com -- so I'm putting my need out there in the world and hoping someone with a lead or two comes across this blog!!

6 comments:

  1. This is odd...I was looking in the jobs section on the classifieds on myspace and actually saw a "spanish speaking nanny" listed in DC...I was thinking that is odd..then I came here..and you are looking for one. Have you checked out myspace? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should explain to us more of why you want a duola. What do you invision Erik's role to be if someone else is there as well? I remember childbirth as being a very bonding moment, we came out of it with a deeper appreciation of just how much we could do individually and as a team.

    Now as for a nanny, if you can afford it do it, the first few weeks of motherhood are hard. :O)

    mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gwen,
    I did'nt yell at dad, infact he had to yell at me to get me to calm down and only when I was actually on the table pushing. I did'nt have a clue what they wanted me to do and having him there helped me to settle down and try to follow directions. I missed the opportunity for drugs because I was asleep. I slept through most of my labor and only really felt it when I was past the point of medication. Most people don't sleep through their labor but mine was'nt intense until the very end.

    I was asking because it seems to me that a doula diminishes the role of the partner and you have a wonderful caring partner. I found the entire experience very personal and am not sure I would have wanted a planner there with me. Oh and I did goggle it. I supose I am too self conscious for all that.

    It is definety a different world. :O) My advice, which is'nt being asked for, is to count on your very reliable husband to help with every thing. He is such a doll and has more at stake than any outside help.
    Mostly honey don't sweat it its a fun and interesting experience and once they hand you that baby none of it will matter. You will look back on it for a lifetime and yes chuckle, tell horror stories and marvel that you actually did it.
    mom

    ReplyDelete
  5. well thanks for your input, but erik and i have discussed it, he's all for having someone who actually knows what they are doing present and does not feel like his role will be diminished in any way.

    seems like your memory is a bit different now that i am having a baby than it was any time you've ever told me the story.

    in the long run, it is our decision to make.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well as someone who had five pregnancies but never got that far..I would have been happy to give birth in a rice patty :)

    That being said..I am so happy for you and think that you and Erik will do wonderfully doula or no doula..I am sure it will be a magical and wonderful experience and I will enjoy your stories about it as much as I have always enjoyed your moms about having you..although your Grandma's giving birth to your mom in a car is still the best birth story EVER!!! I am thinking she could have filled many a blog with that story!

    Congrats again honey and enjoy every minute of it!!!

    ReplyDelete